Another one bites the dust. Is this the new go to? Is that the only way out of our troubles?
Life is tough; has been for a while. Some days I wonder if that was my answer?
I look around to remind myself, get past just one more day. Today is just not that day…
Filed under A first, Abstract, Attitude, Bonding, Career, Decisions, Determination, Disappointments, Doubts, Emotions, Environment, Expectations, Experiences, Faith, Fear, Issues, Life, Living my life, Pain, Personal, Priorities, Resolutions, Short, Society, Thoughts, Truth
What do you tell yourself everyday, every night, every minute. What do you dream of when you sleep at night and when you are wide awake. What is it that burns a fire inside of you? What makes you wake up every morning and sleep well at night. Have you every asked yourself, what do you really want for yourself?
On this crisp spring morning, what are you truly wanting!
Filed under A first, Abstract, Attitude, Challenges, Communication, Confusion, Conversations, Decisions, Determination, Dreams, Emotions, Environment, Facts, Faith, Goal, Hope, Life, Living my life, Milestones, Motivation, musings, People, Personal, Priorities, Questions., Resolutions, Society, Success, Thoughts, Wishes
Things to do this week:
One clinical day, one medical-education day, 5 one hour presentations, 3 meetings for graduate school, master’s thesis revisions for submission due, PhD proposal hard deadlines due. Apart from this regular work week, I have guests coming to stay with us from India. I am beyond excited and can barely concentrate on what needs to be done.
So today’s mantra: Clear your mind of can’t. I’ll let you all know if I survive this week!
How does your week look like?
Filed under A first, Attitude, Blogging, Blogroll, Camaraderie, Career, Challenges, Communication, Decisions, Determination, Disappointments, Environment, Expectations, Experiences, Faith, focus, Life, Opinion, Personal, Plans, Priorities, Relationships, Thoughts, Update
Big warm hug: The answer to almost any situation or perhaps warm tea; medicine to all pain
It is a big day.
There is cake, balloons, love, laughter.
He steals a glance at the beautiful woman in the room.
Her eyes meets his.
She gives him a big smile.
Is that sadness he sees?
What am I missing, he wonders?
What is your story, he does not have the courage to ask.
I wrote a few months ago about my struggle with a friendship. The current political climate does not help at all. The insecurity of not knowing what someone really thinks of you, is crippling to a relationship. But does one’s political affiliation make them a bad person/friend/citizen?
I am not the one to answer any of these questions. Unfortunately, this also appears to be the biggest struggle of our time. We just don’t know who our friends are. We don’t know how valued we are by the people around us. As humans we all need the validation of ourselves. The social structure around us, is diminishing the value of self esteem.
In a society where the number of likes on a Facebook picture/post or the number of hearts on an Instagram picture is more reassuring than meeting a friend in person or a one on one phone call, the factors that play into self validation have changed.
Does that change how humans feel? Is having that 3 am friend enough? Is having one friend enough when the world seeks validations from hundreds/thousands? Is there value in human contact. Of any kind?
With the changing landscape of human behavior I often ask myself, am I expecting too much from people around me? Is it too much to ask for mutual respect, compassion, affection and the ability to once in a while put the other before your own self-interests. I have often thought about what makes a successful relation and every time, it comes down to the people in it!
Filed under Abstract, Attitude, Bonding, Camaraderie, Communication, Conversations, Culture, Disappointments, Emotions, Environment, Expectations, Experiences, Friends, Friendship, Hope, Life, People, Personal, Philosophy, Priorities, Rants, Relationships, Society, Thoughts, Wishes
My master’s thesis will be done tomorrow. It is the last date of submission, so even though I don’t feel done, I have to be. In a way I am happy about that, as I am so ready to be done with it! One of the pages I have been looking forward to writing in my 50+ page thesis is the acknowledgements page. While this exact version may not make it to the very specified page, I wanted to share my acknowledgements here.
I want to take this opportunity to thank some key players who have been instrumental in me getting my master’s thesis!
- The asshole co-worker: When I joined my new job last year, one of my co-workers would keep repeating that I was a doctor, a master’s student and a Phd student, I have a grant to my name and I still managed to get great grades in the the Public Health classes that I was enrolled in. When he said it the first time, I realized I was doing a lot, and that perhaps a work life balance would be a good thing. When he repeated himself about 30 million times, I knew it was coming from spite. He oozes competition and self-entitlement. He helped me seal my determination to show his entitled self, what it means to be a hard working brown immigrant woman and how much we can do when we set our minds to something. So this thesis is for you buddy!
- The Program leadership who warned me against “doing too much” Your tone was more of a warning than that of concern. You put me on alert and hence I am glad I decided to prove you wrong. I am submitting my thesis and I know for a fact that I will be granted my degree.
- My husband: My rock, my anchor, the shoulder I have cried on many times, my support. I truly couldn’t have done this without you.
- My mom: A doctorate herself kept it very real for me. She was probably the only person who told me like it was. On the days I wanted to give up, she reminded me why I started in the first place.
- My friends: Some that I see on a daily basis, some I text on a daily basis, some that I don’t see or talk to on a daily basis, but all of them have empowered me, reminded me that I can kick ass when I am not feeling sorry for myself and that I got this even when I didn’t think I did. You don’t even know you kept me going because you were just your awesome selves and I cannot thank you enough for being yourselves and for being in my life!
Few more hours people and I will be done! Boo ya!
Filed under A first, Always one step behind, Celebration, Determination, Dreams, Emotions, Environment, Expectations, Experiences, Faith, Goal, Inspiration, Life, Love, Motivation, People, Personal, Rants, Relationships, Society, Thoughts, Truth, Update